Organise your own event
If our organised events don’t take your fancy, why not arrange your own fundraising event?
This could be anything from a cake sale or coffee morning to a car boot sale, sponsored swim or charity golf day - the choice is yours.
We offer lots of help and support when organising your event, including plenty of materials, posters, collection buckets and bags of enthusiasm.
Fundraising your way is simple and straightforward with our 12 easy steps:
- Decide what you want to do – whether you’d like to do something adventurous, quirky, sporty or social, you’ll find inspiration on our A-Z page (pdf).
- Identify a date - what date would be best, not just for you but for the people you hope will attend?
- Identify a location - remember you may need to book well in advance. Consider how much space you need, whether parking is an issue and if you need to hire a place, what your budget is.
- Resources and costings – venue? entertainment? licencing? catering?
- Plan ahead - write a list of everything you can think of that needs to be done, identifying people and tasks involved. Prioritise your list and arrange regular meetings with your volunteers, so you can brainstorm, share news and keep everyone updated.
- Set your fundraising goal - set yourself a realistic and achievable target. You may want to seek support from local companies, have a raffle or hold a collection to help you reach your target.
- Promote your event – once the details are decided it’s time to drum up lots of interest from everyone you know. Don’t forget to tell us what you’re doing so we can help publicise. Contacting your local media about your fundraising activity may seem a little daunting but it is relatively easy and only requires a little forward planning. You will not only raise more interest in your event but increase awareness. Go to www.justgiving.com/brandontrust and set up a page for your event. It's easy and a fantastic way to encourage family and friends to support you, even if they live miles away. If you are a fan of Facebook, Twitter, MySpace or YouTube, use them to increase awareness about your event, Brandon Trust and those whose lives are affected by learning disabilities.
- Stop and think - What could go wrong? You need to think this through and plan accordingly. A month before the event, check everything is going to plan and make adjustments if not. How are your numbers looking? Do you need more publicity? Are costs mounting? Has the caterer been booked? Do you have enough volunteers? Do you need a license? Confirm with the venue and key people that everything is still on track and do so again, a week and the day before.
- Enjoy! – most importantly sit back and enjoy your event. Watch all of your hard work pay off knowing that the funds you’ve raised will help dreams come true for young people and adults with learning disabilities in your community.
- What to do after the event - thank everyone who has helped you along the way and tell them how you have done. Collect all the money you are owed by your sponsors. Download our sponsor forms if you need more.
- Pay it in! - you can collect donations yourself and send them to us or raise money through Just Giving.
- Pat yourself on the back! – Be sure to let us know once you have finished your fundraising as we would love to send you out a thank you letter and certificate. We also love to see our fundraiser in action so please send us in any pictures that you have from your event.
If you'd like to talk more about organising your own event, or to register for a fundraising pack, please contact the fundraising team on 0117 906 2922 or email email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing your fantastic fundraising ideas. Why not get your workplace, school or college involved too?